I was first introduced to the concept of lemon water when I was a little girl. My grandmother always ordered a side of lemons wherever she went. She would put them in her water and on her salad. It wasn’t until I started doing a clean eating challenge that I learned why. As a child, I struggled with drinking enough water, and it was refreshing to learn some things I didn’t know back then. Little did I know just how many benefits there are!
Lemons are packed with nutrients, including vitamin C, B-complex vitamins, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, and fiber. Here’s a fun fact: They contain more potassium than apples or grapes! Whaaaaat? For real.
Also, because of how hard lemon juice can be on the enamel of your teeth, it’s important to dilute it with water of any temperature (though lukewarm is recommended). Drink it first thing in the morning after your probiotic and wait about 20-30 minutes before you eat.
- Lemons give your immune system a boost. Vitamin C is like our immune system’s jumper cables, and lemon juice is full of it. The level of vitamin C in your system is one of the first things to plummet when you’re stressed, which is why experts recommended popping extra vitamin C during especially stressful days.
- Lemons are an excellent source of potassium. As already mentioned, lemons are high in potassium, which is good for heart health, as well as brain and nerve function.
- Lemons aid digestion. Lemon juice not only encourages healthy digestion by loosening toxins in your digestive tract, it helps to relieve symptoms of indigestion such as heartburn, burping, and bloating.
- Lemons cleanse your system. It helps flush out the toxins in your body by enhancing enzyme function, stimulating your liver.
- Freshens your breath! It also helps relieve toothaches and gingivitis. Because the citric acid can erode tooth enamel, either hold off on brushing your teeth after drinking lemon water, or brush your teeth before drinking it.
- Keeps your skin blemish-free. The antioxidants in lemon juice help to not only decrease blemishes, but wrinkles too! It can also be applied to scars and age spots to reduce their appearance, and because it’s detoxifying your blood, it will maintain your skin’s radiance.
- Helps you lose weight. Lemons contain pectin fiber, which assists in fighting hunger cravings.
- Reduces inflammation. If you drink lemon water on a regular basis, it will decrease the acidity in your body, which is where disease states occur. It removes uric acid in your joints, which is one of the main causes of inflammation.
- Gives you a boost of energy! Lemon juice provides your body with energy when it enters your digestive tract, and it also helps reduce anxiety and depression. Did you know that the scent of lemons has a calming effect on your nervous system?
- Helps to cut out caffeine. (I didn’t believe this until I tried it). It does wonders! I feel refreshed, and I no longer have to deal with that pesky afternoon crash. AND…. my nerves are thankful!
- Helps fight viral infections. Warm lemon water is the most effective way to diminish viral infections and their subsequent sore throats. Plus, with the lemon juice also boosting your immune system, you’ll simultaneously fight off the infection completely.
HOW MUCH LEMON DO YOU NEED?
For those who weigh less than 150 pounds, squeeze half a lemon’s worth of juice into a glass of water. If over 150 pounds, use an entire lemon’s juice. You can, of course, dilute the lemon juice more depending on your personal taste. Not only are the benefits of lemon water endless, it’s one of the most substantial, yet simple changes you can make for your health.
Is lemon water part of your daily routine?